A while back I had a co-worker who would always complain. She would complain about her job, her relationships and about being a single mom.
At first I tried to let her see the good things in her life. After a while I started getting inpatient when I was at work. I started seeing the negative in every situation. Slowly I joined her on the complaining and we both became world-class complainers about everything in our lives.
As time went by I started noticing a decline in my productivity. My body felt exhausted all the time. I wasn’t in the mood to do anything. I started focusing on the set backs in my life instead of what I’ve accomplished.
When I finally realized that it was my attitude that got in the way of my growth I had to decide to change. Of course it took some time for me to get back to where I am today but it was one of the most important changes I have ever made.
How I Changed My Life
1. First I evaluated my life to find out where I was satisfied. I have an amazing family who cares about me. Plus, I was working towards what I was passionate about; finding happiness and helping others.
2. The next step was rather hard because I had to be honest with myself to identify where in my life I was not happy. This is what I came up with for my unhappiness:
▪ I worried too much about what other people thought about me rather than what I thought about myself
▪ I found it hard to say “No” which put my priorities aside sometimes
▪ I had too much on my plate and I overworked myself trying to get everything done
▪ I didn’t have enough positive friends
▪ I had too high of expectations. Which led to disappointments.
3. After reviewing my lists, I figured out where I had to focus. So, I started to:
▪ Associate with people who had a positive approach to life
▪ Focus more on what I thought about myself rather than what others think
▪ Focus on my priorities and learned how to say “No”
▪ I started to plan and focus on a couple of tasks at a time
▪ Have realistic expectations
The Outcomes of My Decisions
Achieving my goals. When I changed my attitude I started accomplishing more. It gave me the “push” I needed to work harder.
Recognizing opportunities. I noticed right away that by being positive I saw more opportunities open up for me. When I was busy complaining I didn’t have time to make the changes I needed to.
Appreciation. Once I started appreciating people for who they are and not what I expected from them my relationships improved. I found a deeper meaning associated with my surroundings and I will never take it for granted.
When you change your attitude you will find that you will appreciate the simple things in life. Instead of what you don’t have you will focus on what you have and how to make the best out of it.
So let go of negative thoughts and start living your life like you should.
Share your thoughts: What do you think is the best way to change your attitude about life? How can you surround yourself with positive friends?